G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center
Pain management is a branch of medicine that applies science to the reduction of pain. It covers a wide spectrum of pain conditions. Pain Management practitioners come from various fields of medicine.
We now have many modalities, including medication, interventional pain management techniques (nerve blocks, epidurals, trigger point injections, Greater Occipital Nerve Blocks and similar treatments), along with physical therapy/occupational therapy and alternative medicine to help reduce the pain.
The goal of pain management is to minimize pain, rather than eliminate it. This is because quite often it is not possible to completely do away with it. Two other goals are to improve function and increase quality of life. These three goals go hand-in-hand.
As a first-time patient in a pain management clinic, you might experience the following:
- Diagnostic tests, if necessary, as determined in the evaluation
- Referral to surgeon, if indicated
- Interventional treatment, such as injections and/or modalities
- Referral to Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy to increase range-of –motion
- Referral for alternative medicine to complement your other treatments
Your Primary Care Provider can refer you to Pain Management.
- 2nd floor, Module D
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm